Without the security of a union contract that includes guaranteed pay raises, Student Services Professional staff have been vulnerable to UC budget cuts and austerity measures. UC’s continued reliance on an outmoded “merit-based” pay system institutionalizes favoritism and chronic underfunding and contributes to the downward spiral of compensation for non-unionized UC staff.
• Regular pay increases that keep pace with inflation.
• Elimination of “merit-based” pay that is underfunded, subject to favoritism, and causes staff to compete for small pieces of the pie.
• Conversion to “step-based” pay increases that allow us to move up the pay range when our performance is evaluated as “satisfactory” or “meets expectations.”
• Longevity raises for staff who have “topped out” in their pay range.
• Equity adjustments that keep our pay competitive.
• Increased pay for historically undervalued student services professions.
• Analysis of gender-based pay inequities in female-dominated job fields.